Buffalo wings are an American staple, and we definitely love to chow down on a heaping plate of them from time to time, but those deep-fried, saucy morsels aren’t always friendly to our waistlines. In an effort to get more of that classic flavor into our bellies while still eating healthy, we developed this amazingly tasty – and nutritious – dish that’s proven to be a huge hit in our home!
We combined lean, white meat chicken with fiber-packed quinoa, plenty of bright, crunchy veggies, a healthy does of that tangy hot sauce, and of course a little bit of bleu cheese crumbles to top it all off. This hearty salad is bursting with color and flavor – it’s our favorite new way to enjoy Buffalo chicken, and we bet you’ll agree!
Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Salad
30 minutes to prepare
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup buffalo hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- In a large skillet add vegetable oil, chicken, salt and pepper, and saute over medium-high heat until chicken is just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add broccoli and sauté an additional 3-4 minutes or until broccoli starts to soften, but is still al dente.
- In a small bowl combine olive oil, buffalo sauce, and garlic powder. Stir in about half of dressing mixture into chicken, and cook until mostly absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add chicken mixture, quinoa, carrots, cabbage, bleu cheese crumbles, green onions, and dressing, and toss well until evenly combined.
- Serve with additional bleu cheese crumbles and green onions, and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Half Baked Harvest